A novel research depicts that there has been a tremendous increase in both button and cylindrical battery swallowing among kids. And that the batteries that are lodged in esophagus should be removed within 2 hours so as to avert grave injuries, including tissue tears, burning and internal bleeding.
In order to reduce such instances, researchers demand that manufacturers should create child resistant precautionary measures that can be implemented in every household and form industry standards that would call for caution.
These results are based on two readings published in the June issue of Pediatrics. One study scrutinised the trouble of battery ingestion amongst kids and what is the best way to treat them. The second study evaluated the occurrence of battery ingestion and how makers can bring improvement with their practices.
In general, the two studies propose that the 6.7-fold augment in the proportion of button battery ingestions between 1985 and 2009 is straight connected to the extensive use of lithium cell batteries, which power a lot of household products and includes television remote controls, flashlights, hearing aids, cameras and even children's toys.
On the whole, there have been 13 fatality cases involving button batteries getting stuck in the airway or esophagus.