On Thursday, software giant Microsoft reported that EPS was in the red by 6 cents in the most recent quarter, with the company posting its first-ever quarterly loss; after having announced on July 3 that it intends to write down the goodwill value of its 2007-acquired aQuantive online ad division by $6.2 billion.
However, despite the loss, the sectors which yield real profits for Microsoft - PC and server software, services, and tools – continue to remain hot, despite the fact that the slow economy is currently giving IBM and other Microsoft rivals a tough time in terms of registering revenue growth.
According to the figures posted by Microsoft, the company’s total fourth-quarter revenue increased 4 percent year-on-year to $18.1 billion, when the aQuantive charge and Windows deferral were included. But, excluding these two, the total revenue of the company increased 7 percent to $18.6 billion, and its operating income rose 11 percent to $6.9 billion.
In spite of the fourth-quarter loss posted by Microsoft, the $18.1 billion total quarterly revenue and the $73.7 billion increase in sales – a 13 percent increase in Microsoft's Server & Tools division’s sales; and 7 percent rise in Office and related sales – for the company’s 2012 fiscal year marked record-high levels.
Stating that Microsoft had delivered “record fourth quarter and annual revenue,” the company’s CEO Steve Ballmer – in the wake of the forthcoming Windows 8 launch - said: “We're fast approaching the most exciting launch season in Microsoft history.”
- Inquest into Death of Dylan Crean, 3, Finds Communication Failings between Agencies
- Denise Welch Shares Her Experience during Fight against Depression
- Toy Car Helps 16-Year-Old Girl Recover of Paralysis
- Lack of Support Makes Carers in Scotland Fail in Relationships
- Vodafone pays no corporation tax in UK for second consecutive year, despite earning over £5bn